kyonshi,
@kyonshi@dice.camp avatar

set up a on my spare , and it works!

Mostly. I am still trying to get it to work with , and I still need to get email working.

I'm not sure why I should have a BBS in the first place, but there you go.

It mostly is actually intended as a server for groups. And it largely works. I can USE it as a server. I just can't pull any new articles from other servers right now, which makes this somewhat less than ideal.

ericsfraga,
@ericsfraga@fediscience.org avatar

@kyonshi Can you recommend good #ttrpg newsgroups?

Hope you get your #nntp server going fully!

kyonshi,

@ericsfraga good is an interesting word here...

rec.games.frp.dnd and rec.games.frp.misc have some traffic, rec.games.frp.cyber a bit less.

the other members of the rec.games.frp* hierarchy seem to see mostly me as a poster...
(I find it sad that this part of hobby history lies barren right now, they technically are some of the oldest #ttrpg forums we have)

There's also a few more local newsgroups on @kensanata's https://campaignwiki.org/news

lextenebris,
@lextenebris@vivaldi.net avatar

@kyonshi @ericsfraga @kensanata I did my time in the coal mines of USENET back in the day, before the rise of the modern web – actually, before the rise of the web at all.

In a lot of ways, it was a better day. If only because GNUS and proper message threading made finding and reading what you wanted (and not reading what you didn't want) a much better experience than it is today.

If only there were clients that had kept up with modern design while retaining that whole useful experience. The world suffers at the loss.

ericsfraga,
@ericsfraga@fediscience.org avatar

@lextenebris @kensanata @kyonshi I also did my time in the coal mines of USENET (love that expression)! So long ago, in fact, that I was using USENET before the major hierarhy upheaval, when groups changed from net.comp, net.singles, and net.jokes to comp., soc., etc. ;-)

The tools we had were and continue to be excellent for the volumes you can get in newsgroups. I only use gnus now but I remember tin, nn, slrn, and others.

lextenebris,
@lextenebris@vivaldi.net avatar

@ericsfraga @kensanata @kyonshi Oh yes, the Great Renaming. I remember it well. I also remember having to change my entire feed file as a result which was a bit of a pain in the ass.

The funny thing is that we actually deal with more individual elements/posts with the modern "firehose theory" designs that completely ignore useful tools like threading, score files, well-designed filters, and all the rest. We are using objectively worse tools to dig through objectively more content.

I actually quite resent this fact.

I have a strong suspicion that if you were to re-implement RFC 822 as a social media protocol and give us a clean, non-Emacs version of GNUS or SLRN to interface with it, you could spawn a renaissance of social media design.

Which means – it will never happen.

I sometimes miss rec.games.mecha from the old days. Flame wars and all. Rec.games.frp.misc, maybe somewhat less so.

kyonshi,

@lextenebris @ericsfraga @kensanata I tried posting on rec.games.mecha, but it seems to be set to moderated and abandoned

dungeon_master,

@kyonshi This is fantastic. I got Renegade working briefly about 5 years ago, and it felt like an old homecoming.

kyonshi,

@dungeon_master I never actually was in the bbs scene before. I tried calling a few when I was a kid, but that didn't seem to do much. but I am fascinated by the concept. and I wanted to have a ttrpg board. for whatever reason. (because I'm not sure if anyone but me ever would use it).
I mostly wanted to manage to get one running

kyonshi,

originally I had planned to use a leafnode server on the same machine for pulling articles, but when I had already installed it I realized belatedly that Synchronet also works as a nntp server, and I couldn't actually access the leafnode at all.

the exact situation is even pointed out by the leafnode docs, but I never had the situation come up before, so I forgot.

but now I am stuck with a working nntp server that doesn't want to get any new articles and I am not sure why.

• All
  • Subscribed
  • Moderated
  • Favorites
  • bbs
  • GTA5RPClips
  • DreamBathrooms
  • InstantRegret
  • magazineikmin
  • thenastyranch
  • ngwrru68w68
  • Youngstown